1

Peevy

Posted by K. Greer on 8/17/2010 in , ,
As you may recall from an earlier post (I Haiku. Do you?), I work with a bunch of degenerate creatives.

That said, they are the reason I drive in my little box on wheels to this building (a box) to sit in my office (yet another box) 40 hours a week. (Digression: I didn't come up with that little philosophical gem on my own. I got it from "The Box" -- the most horrible movie that ever was made, which was, somehow, chock full o' great one-liners.)

The most recent anti-minutiae activity we devised was a list of pet peeves. This list of 23 egregious transgressions took a full year to compile. This is mainly because it was posted off the main drag, at the top of the writers' hall, attached to my office door, right next to my giant "K" and irreverent cartoons about office life.

Considering a few of these peeves involved writers bashing artists and artists bashing writers, you'd think this is a hostile environment. Au contraire mon frere. This is where genius is born -- and genius drives out anger, envy, laziness and all manners of evil. (Except for greed. Our greed is firmly intact.) So, with no further ado, I give you the list of personal annoyances as catalogued by the Publications Department.

THE LIST
1) People who text while driving
2) People who put on cologne without showering
3) People who don't wave after you let them merge
4) People who say "Valentimes" instead of "Valentine's"
5) Hallmark holidays
6) People who state/ask the obvious
7) People who say "old timers" instead of "Alzheimer's." [Writer's note: Not really a funny pet peeve, but it irks me just the same.]
8) People who say "liberry" instead of "library"
9) People who are bitter about Valentine's Day
10) Grammar Nazis who obsess over pronunciation and spelling
11) People who make up Pet Peeves list [written next to this one: "listS"]
12) People who correct the Pet Peeve above them
13) Designers who think they're writers
14) Why do some people axe a question instead of ask?
15) No excuse for not knowing the phone system after 6 months [written next to this one: How about 12 years?]
16) People who can't read the instructions and get out the front door
17) When you hit "print" but it doesn't automatically print and you walk to the printer but have to go back and hit the "print" button again
18) People who say "cool beans." What does that mean?!
19) People who mention the race of the people in stories when it's irrelevant
20) People who say itch when they mean scratch
21) People who correct people all of the time [This was directed toward me and signed "From Everyone"]
22) People who cannot lay papers flat within an "In" tray
23) When people call the publications department "pubs"

Now, there were a few from our admin in there, too. It shouldn't be too hard to pick those out. She's all about everything being in its place, which is kinda the reason this place runs like a well-oiled ... well ... runner.

Before you go, I've got a favor to ask: Click on the "Comments" thought bubble at the top right and tell me what truly ticks you off. I've just gotta know!

|

1 Comments


People who say "Optober" instead of "October"

People who walk up to a waiting elevator (where I'm already waiting) and press the directional button again---as if I wasn't smart enough to do it myself

People who, when accused of some behavior, immediately ask "When did I do/say that?"

People who always have to be right

People who don't know the difference between there/their/they're and you're/your.

#3 on your list!

Idiots in general

Fat girls in skinny jeans

People who forget my birthday (because I start reminding you at least a month out!)

Customer service reps because they are trained to treat the customers as if they know nothing which results in at least five minutes of useless questioning about whether you bothered to plug in said product you're having issues with.

Oh...I could go on!

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 My Greer View Mirror All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Distributed by Deluxe Templates